Hello and welcome to my virtual garden party, Realize Paradise!
I am grateful that we can be together here, albeit virtually. I am grateful for the technology that allows us to meet this moment. I am here with you during this current pandemic. Though we are physically distant, we can still be spiritually intimate. All my events will occur online until further notice.
I am excited to share myself with you here. Many people know me as “Rachel Kann, poet.” What I’m most recognized for are my spoken word performances. I’m really fortunate that I have had the opportunity to share my work in this way all over the world. My writing is also featured on Hevria, where my poem, “What to Tell the Children,” created a gracious ripple in the global spiritual community.
It’s no surprise, then, that people tend to think of me as a person of words…and…yes! No doubt, I do love words…but verbal language is just one form of communication. I’ve come to realize that the truth of it is, what I really like is communication itself. Being in connection; in communion. Communication, in myriad manifestations. Whether it is through a live performance, leading workshops, classes, ritual or ceremony. Of course, that means wordlessly, as well: in the form of dance, in the form of meditation, in the form of energy.
For me, bliss is when I am in flow, truly connecting, feeling authentic, building a bridge from my within my soul to the outer through the act of communication. For example, I can’t help but Realize Paradise behind a microphone.
We all have our own paradise inside us. We all have our own flow. I want you to find the sweet relief that leads to your own continuing expansiveness and authenticity. I want to party in the garden with your unguarded heart!
I weave together my learning in spirituality and mysticism with my down-to-earth irreverence in devotion to creating an experience that calls you into the here and now to awaken and initiate emotional healing.
the tiny little you who lives inside of you,
reminding you of all the truth
you once knew you knew,
returning you to your previous innocence,
restoring your clarity,
because kindness is your true nature,
and I promise, anything beyond that
has been inculcated.
Maybe we are on the brink of a huge worldwide sea-change
and you are perfect just the way you are.
Does any of this feel familiar?
In a world that felt unfriendly and unkind,
I couldn’t help but be drawn to the edges of mystery.
To want to peak behind the wizard’s curtain.
Why are we here?
What is this place?
What is real?
What is illusion?
Most importantly…when is the mothership coming back to get us?
I did my own learning, reading and practicing in different mystical and mystery traditions.
I share your painful deep inward journeys. I know what it is like to experience numbing and un-numbing. To realize that you have silenced and shut down parts of yourself. To experience your own trauma and demons rising up to meet you. I know what it feels like to believe you don’t have a right to…just be.
Friends, I am not going to pretend there are any quick fixes. I am not going to try to sell you a bill of goods wrapped in new-age jargon. That kind of nonsense, while tantalizing, is part of the old, capitalist, patriarchal model, and I am coming to you direct from the edge of possibility, a future where we speak from our integrity.
Here’s the truth:
As long as you are alive, the unfolding continues.
You never get it done. Reaching the conclusion = death. The time to transition to the next level will come for all of us, it’s guaranteed. But for now, here we are on earth, constantly longing, yearning, amending, peeling back the layers, finding more sweetness we can expand on, and more suffering that we can release.
In my garden, I want to create a safe & sacred space for every human to experience sweet relief.
I want to invite you to open, to reconnect with the contents of your heart. To feel seen, heard, and understood.
I do this by building a bridge right here in the five-sensory world, so we can all feel connected, one.
Whether you are experiencing my poetry via live performance, audio, video, or by reading a good old-fashioned book, I am inviting you to know your own sweetness, to befriend your authentic self. To love and maybe even hug yourself. To feel fully expressed.
Welcome to paradise.
You can be brand new. Perfect. Whole. Deserving of love. It’s safe to care. It’s safe to desire. It’s safe to get excited. It’s safe to let your freak flag fly.
Your authenticity, your connection to the true you, your self-kindness—it ripples out and radiates. By realizing your own paradise, you bring paradise to life. You help free yourself and all of us from a world of passive-aggression, manipulation, and mind games.
Let’s be curious. Let’s be imperfect. Let’s shine our light. Let’s forget about playing it cool. Let’s geek out in paradise. Together.
- I’m a TEDx Poet.
- I’ve performed with artists and leaders such as Marianne Williamson, Michael Bernard Beckwith, daKAH Hip Hop Orchestra, Saul Williams, and Rahzel, at venues like Disney Concert Hall, Royce Hall, The Broad Stage and The San Francisco Palace of Fine Arts.
- I’ve shared my poetry in sacred spaces like Jewlicious Fest X aboard The Queen Mary, Agape Spiritual Center and Sinai Temple,
- I’ve been a featured presenter at conferences like the 2020 New England Jewish Poetry Festival, NerdCon, MAPS Psychedelic Science 2017, Women’s Visionary Congress and Visionary Convergence.
- I’ve rocked the stage at festivals like Lucidity Fest and the Vans Warped Tour.
- My poetry film, “Dancing Lesson,” won Best Overall Film and Best Music at the Rabbit Heart Poetry Film Festival, and is currently nominated in the Miami Film Fest and Zebra Film Festival in Berlin.
- My work has been featured on Morning Becomes Eclectic on NPR, as well as “The Weather” on the podcast phenomenon, Welcome to Night Vale
- I have three spoken word albums: The Upward Spiral, Ptolemaic Complex, and Word to the Why?s, and have collaborated with producers such as Jaz 1, End.User, Tack-Fu, and Gee Gee Gallegos. My work has received accolades from the James Kirkwood Fiction Awards (short story), Writer’s Digest Short-Short Story Awards (micro-fiction), LA Weekly Awards (best supporting actress), Backstage West Garland Awards Critic’s Picks (best supporting actress), and both the audio and video award for the International Slam Idol (poetry).
- I was commissioned by The Broad Stage to write and perform a contemporary retelling of Peter Pan from Tinker Bell’s perspective, accompanied by Maestra Rachael Worby’s 18-piece orchestra Muse/Ique.
- My poetry film, “Lie Down Beside You,” created with director Brad Cooper and choreographer Keith Johnson, has received screenings at the 4 The Camera Film Festival and Landlocked Film Festival. Choreography for the track has been presented at Alvin Ailey Dance Center and The Kennedy Center.
- My poetry film, “I See You,” produced by Uplifting Content in collaboration with director Jeffrey Bomberger, composer Dave Lewis and costar Joseph Rhea, was nominated for a Posi Award for best music video.
- My poetry film, “Drunk,” in collaboration with Student Oscar-nominated and Student Emmy-nominated filmmaker Rahat Mahajan and producer Jaz 1, was awarded Best Music in the Rabbit Heart Poetry Film Festival.
- My poetry film, “Mermaid Esther: An Astonishing Fire,” directed by Brad Cooper, was awarded Curator’s Choice in the Rabbit Heart Poetry Film Festival.
- I was invited to perform my poetry at TEDx UCLA and in Flight 18 (where I was the DJ and Dance Captain as well) at 3LD Technology in New York City.
- I lead Realize Paradise Journeys, which are one-of-a-kind experiences combining meditation, poetry, chanting, rhythm and embodiment, in a no-pressure environment, meant to induce feelings of joy, well-being and transcendence in sacred spaces like Town and Village Shul in NYC and Mishkon Tephilo in Los Angeles.
- I do one-on-one Priestessing Sessions in person and remotely, utilizing multiple modalities to help people re-invite internal kindness toward their own soul and thus, reconnect with their own intuition and love their truest selves.
- I lead rituals and services that help reawaken and reimagine the sacred as vital for organizations like NuRoots.
- I apprenticed for two years under a maestra of Amazonian Shamanic work.
- I am a certified Reiki Master.
- I am a certified Jewish Energy Healer.
- I am an initiated Tzovah through Kohenet.
- I’m the author of You Sparkle Inside, a children’s book (for all ages) about letting your own light shine. You Sparkle Inside was launched at RuPaul’s DragCon LA, where it was the featured book in Drag Queen Story Hour presented by Mrs. Kasha Davis.
- I’m a resident writer for Hevria, (where I’m also featured as a performing artist on The Hevria Live Series.)
- My latest book of poetry is A Prayer on Behalf of the Broken Heart.
- My writing appears in journals such as Tiferet, Eclipse, Permafrost, Coe Review, Sou’wester, GW Review, Quiddity, and Lalitamba.
- I’m the 2017 Outstanding Instructor of the Year at UCLA Extension Writers’ Program, where I teach poetry and fiction.
- I teach creative expression and poetry workshops for all levels and all stages and ages all over the world, in person and online.
- I coach writers in one-on-one sessions for in-depth soul-work and publishable credibility.
- I teach dance and fitness nationally for well-being and spiritual release.
- I lead spiritual aromatherapy workshops incorporating the Tree of Life for organizations like, Aleph’s Kallah, NuRoots and Shmayim V’Eretz.