Hello and welcome to my virtual garden party, Realize Paradise!
I am grateful that we can be together here, albeit virtually. I am grateful for the technology that allows us to meet this moment. I am here with you during this current pandemic. Though we are physically distant, we can still be spiritually intimate. All my events will occur online until further notice.
I am excited to share myself with you here. Many people know me as “Rachel Kann, poet.” What I’m most recognized for are my spoken word performances. I’m really fortunate that I have had the opportunity to share my work in this way all over the world. My writing is also featured on Hevria, where my poem, “What to Tell the Children,” created a gracious ripple in the global spiritual community.
It’s no surprise, then, that people tend to think of me as a person of words…and…yes! No doubt, I do love words…but verbal language is just one form of communication. I’ve come to realize that the truth of it is, what I really like is communication itself. Being in connection; in communion. Communication, in myriad manifestations. Whether it is through a live performance, leading workshops, classes, ritual or ceremony. Of course, that means wordlessly, as well: in the form of dance, in the form of meditation, in the form of energy.
For me, bliss is when I am in flow, truly connecting, feeling authentic, building a bridge from my within my soul to the outer through the act of communication. For example, I can’t help but Realize Paradise behind a microphone.
We all have our own paradise inside us. We all have our own flow. I want you to find the sweet relief that leads to your own continuing expansiveness and authenticity. I want to party in the garden with your unguarded heart!
I weave together my learning in spirituality and mysticism with my down-to-earth irreverence in devotion to creating an experience that calls you into the here and now to awaken and initiate emotional healing.
I know what it’s like to be in so much darkness you can’t find your way out. To feel so creatively blocked that you can’t breathe. To paint yourself into a corner so tiny, it feels like there’s nowhere to exist.
I share your painful deep inward journeys. I know what it is like to experience numbing and un-numbing. To realize that you have silenced and shut down parts of yourself. To experience your own trauma and demons rising up to meet you. I know what it feels like to believe you don’t have a right to…just be.
Friends, I am not going to pretend there are any quick fixes. I am not going to try to sell you a bill of goods wrapped in new-age jargon. That kind of nonsense, while tantalizing, is part of the old, capitalist, patriarchal model, and I am coming to you direct from the edge of possibility, a future where we speak from our integrity.
Here’s the truth:
As long as you are alive, the unfolding continues.
You never get it done. Reaching the conclusion = death. The time to transition to the next level will come for all of us, it’s guaranteed. But for now, here we are on earth, constantly longing, yearning, amending, peeling back the layers, finding more sweetness we can expand on, and more suffering that we can release.
In my garden, I want to create a safe & sacred space for every human to experience sweet relief.
I want to invite you to open, to reconnect with the contents of your heart. To feel seen, heard, and understood.
I do this by building a bridge right here in the five-sensory world, so we can all feel connected, one.
Whether you are experiencing my poetry via live performance, audio, video, or by reading a good old-fashioned book, I am inviting you to know your own sweetness, to befriend your authentic self. To love and maybe even hug yourself. To feel fully expressed.
My bio in brief…
Kohenet (ordained Hebrew Priestess) Rachel Kann is a devotional poet and ceremonialist. She presented as a Hebrew Shamanic Practitioner at the 2021 Jewish Psychedelic Summit. She is the 2021 Writer-in-Residence for Brandeis Collegiate Institute.
A lifelong curious-type, she completed an apprenticeship in plant medicine in addition to being certified in Jewish Energy Healing. She is currently apprenticing in Hebrew Shamanism (Goddess Cycle) with Miriam Katz.
She was the 2020 New England Jewish Poetry Festival’s Featured Poet and a 2020 Cosmic Sister “Women of The Psychedelic Renaissance” awardee for her poetry presentation at the 2020 Spirit Plant Medicine Conference.
She is a WORD: Bruce Geller Memorial Prize recipient for her latest poetry collection, How to Bless the New Moon, from Ben Yehuda Press. She leads Realize Paradise Creativity Workshops, Soul Journeys and New Moon Circles. Her poetry film, The Quickening, was an official selection for the Anaheim International Film Festival. She was the 2017 Outstanding Instructor of the Year at UCLA Extension Writers’ Program.
- I lead Realize Paradise Journeys, which are one-of-a-kind experiences combining meditation, poetry, chanting, rhythm and embodiment, in a no-pressure environment, meant to induce feelings of joy, well-being and transcendence in sacred spaces like Town and Village Shul in NYC and Mishkon Tephilo in Los Angeles.
- I do one-on-one Priestessing Sessions in person and remotely, utilizing multiple modalities to help people re-invite internal kindness toward their own soul and thus, reconnect with their own intuition and love their truest selves.
- I lead rituals and services that help reawaken and reimagine the sacred as vital for organizations like NuRoots.
- I’m the author of You Sparkle Inside, a children’s book
(for all ages) about letting your own light shine. You Sparkle Inside was launched at RuPaul’s DragCon LA, where it was the featured book in Drag Queen Story Hour presented by Mrs. Kasha Davis.
- My latest book of poetry is A Prayer on Behalf of the Broken Heart.
- My writing appears in journals such as Tiferet, Eclipse, Permafrost, Coe Review, Sou’wester, GW Review, Quiddity, and Lalitamba.
- I’m the 2017 Outstanding Instructor of the Year at UCLA Extension Writers’ Program, where I teach poetry and fiction.
- I teach creative expression and poetry workshops for all levels and all stages and ages all over the world, in person and online.
- I coach writers in one-on-one sessions for in-depth soul-work and publishable credibility.
- I lead spiritual aromatherapy workshops incorporating the Tree of Life for organizations like, Aleph’s Kallah, NuRoots and Shmayim V’Eretz.